Blue Water Corgis

Blue Water Corgis
Beau Geste, Maxwell and Elizabeth

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Here's to the little goose baby

In the last few days Beau and Maxwell have been chasing a lot of Canadian Geese.  Some have babies.  They have captured three.  They do not injure them, but seem to just want to carry them around.  The first two I was able to get back to their families.  The third little guy as seen in the video was left by its family.  When I found Maxwell laying next to this one, I thought at first it was dead.  It raised its little head and started "honking" at me.  "Where is my mother?"  There were no geese in sight all up and down the beach.  We put the little fellow in a box and went for a car ride.  I drove to the Boardman Lake and found many geese with young ones of all different ages.  I put him in the water and he swam out to the geese, a couple of the adults pushed him away.  He dove under the water and popped up a few feet away.  I think he was saying "here I am".  He paddled around all the geese and started following a family.  I said "good luck little guy, hope you make it".  Hard to know what to do in these cases.  What I have noticed is that the adult geese do not protect their young,  they run as fast as they can to the water.  The babies all scatter here and there.  It is definitely a fend for yourself situation.  I try to check the yard before I let them out to make sure no babies are out there.
The little guy all ready for the car ride.  Safe and comfortable in a box.
Beau "guarding" the box!  Most likely he was just trying to figure out how he could get into it!
I actually tried to introduce the little guy to these domestic geese with babies.  They wouldn't have anything to do with him.  "Hey you're not our kind, get lost".  I scooped him out of the water and went looking for the Canadians.  I have always heard the Canadians are very hospitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment