Blue Water Corgis

Blue Water Corgis
Beau Geste, Maxwell and Elizabeth

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Does your dog have a "dirty little secret?"


Ours does and hopefully here is the answer!  See picture above.

Little Beau likes to eat his poo!  Yucky to us humans but yummy to him.  The concensus is he does it out of boredom.  I had tried everything from feeding him Libby's pumpkin(which is some supposed to make the poop repulsive to the dog)  to screaming at him, all that did was make him run from me with the poop in his mouth.  The look of glee on his face, catch me if you can or I dare you to take it from me!   Nothing worked he finally got smart and started doing his duty in the ivy and "hiding it" for later.
I am pretty good about picking up the doo doo daily but some days you just get too busy.
 I finally spoke to our vet and she said to "bomb him".  "WHAT" I said.  She said to put red pepper on the feces and let him have at it!  Well low and behold I think this just may work.  This afternoon was our first test and so far he has sniffed around and is not enjoying his second course!  I will probably have to reapply for a few days and keep the fresh ones picked up, but I am hoping this breaks the habit of the poop eating.  He does not eat other animals feces or our other dogs.
Wish me luck!
UPDATE: I have been using the red pepper for a few days now and it seems to be doing the job.  I sprinkle it on the fresh and pick up the day old.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment